European students

Students from Europe (European Union, Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein, and Switzerland) are exempt from visa and resident permit requirements. Only a valid identity card or passport is required.

Non-European students

It is compulsory for Non-European nationals enrolling for the first time in a French university to obtain a long-term visa for stays of more than 3 months in France.

If you are national from one of the countries coming under the CEF procedure (Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, South Korea, Ivory Coast, Egypt USA, Gabon, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mauritania, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Senegal, Syria, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, Vietnam); you must use the application “Etudes en France” (consultez la procédure).

If you are a national of a country which is not in the aforementioned list, the French consulate will advise you on what you need to do. You can also find information here:

It is essential for non-EU students registering for a second year of higher education to complete an application for renewal of their resident permit.